Friday, May 4, 2012

Day 6 - Chariot Canyon - mile 63.5

Windy with clouds to the west.  It wad so windy that my tent pegs were blowing out.  Got up and left early.  Stopped to look at the holes made by Native Americans in the wash.  I followed Jason up the dirt road that leads to the resumption of the trail but when I arrived at Rodriguez, he wad not there.  We guessed he did not see the turn and went up the hill for a while.
Took the long winding hillside and passed many familiar faces.  The vegetation changed as I hit the valley floor. 2 miles to the crossing and I was moving right along before being startled by a huge rattle snake.
Tanked up on water at the cache under the bridge and signe the register.  It was still very windy and dust and dirt were blasting my sunburned face. 
I decided to move on and slowly wound my way up the San Felipe hills through barrel cactus and ocotillo green from the recent rain.  Late afternoon sun found its way under my wide brimmed as I switchbacked up the hillsides loaded with 6 liters of precious water.
I took a long break overlooking the desert valley I just crossed and soon saw Russ coming up the trail.  We decided to call it quits for the day and camped in a sandy wash.  It was very windy and it was hard to put up the tent.
We were joined by Mellow Yellow in camp during dinner.  He's a very nice guy.  I also met Checkpoint and Wolverine today.  Lots of hikers in this section.  Running Feather counted 85 while going southbound today.
Everything is going great so far.  No blisters or foot pain. 
I'm so happy to be out here!

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment