Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day 10 - Chihuahua Valley road - mile 127.1

Woke up early since I decided I didn't need my sleeping pad last night.  Tequila will do that to you.
Had some pancakes and sausage before leaving.  Russ and Young Gun were still sleeping when I left.
It was hot but breezy as I climbed up and over the pass.  Still feeling the partying from the night before, I took breaks often.  It felt like I was sleepwalking most of the day.
I finally reached the next water source, Tule Spring.  After a 2 hour break I started back up the hill only to see Russ on the way down.  Still wanting to get more miles in, I said goodbye as thunder cracked overhead.  Soon it started raining.  Then it was slush falling from the sky.  I put my parka over my pack and hid under a tree and waited.  A few hikers went by; Damsel and her dog Lucy went by with Young Gun. 
The rain went on for about 30 minutes and then I decided to pull out my raincoat.  That's when the weather stopped.   It always works that way.
After changing into a dry shirt, I hiked on for a few miles.  I could even seeing Russ in his red coat way down below in the Tule Creek campsite.   Soon I found nice level ground to make camp.  The plants looked do different after it rained.  I wandered around the wet desert landscape searching for the perfect camping spot. 
After setting up the tent and a big dinner I was watching the full moon rise to the east.   The air smelled of sage.  I drifted off to sleep as soon as my bag was zipped.

Bouncer

No comments:

Post a Comment